For immediate release:
August 31, 2018
Longmont – Democrat Karen McCormick will tour southeast Colorado in her bid to oust Rep. Ken Buck September 3-8, stopping in the counties of Las Animas, Otero, Baca, Prowers, Kiowa, and Cheyenne. Veterinarian and small business owner McCormick is challenging Buck in Colorado’s fourth Congressional district, which includes the cities of Greeley, Longmont, Castle Rock, and Parker as well as most of eastern Colorado. McCormick outraised Buck for the second time last quarter and though members of Congress typically use August recess to campaign in their districts, Buck has held few events and appears to be laying low as McCormick continues to build strong grassroots support and momentum.
McCormick says her priorities in the southeastern part of Colorado include fully funding the Arkansas River Conduit to bring safe drinking water to residents of the Arkansas River Valley, ensuring farmers and ranchers have access to thriving international trade and strong market demand for agricultural products, developing a Farm Bill to help rural Colorado prosper, and solving resources shortages in rural Colorado schools, where 95 percent of teachers do not earn enough to cover the cost of living.
September 3, Las Animas County
- Trinidad Labor Day Parade, 8:30-10:30 a.m., Kit Carson Park, Trinidad.
- Tour of Trinidad Harvesting Company, 11:30 a.m., Trinidad.
- Visit to Ludlow Memorial to observe Labor Day, 1:00 p.m., Ludlow Monument.
- Picnic to meet Karen McCormick, 3:00-6:00 p.m., 728 Tillotson St., Trinidad.
September 4: Otero County and Baca County
- Tour of Bent’s Old Fort National Historic Site, 11:15 a.m., 35110 State Highway 194.
- Tour of Southeast Colorado Hospital in Springfield, 1:30 p.m., 373 E 10th Ave., Springfield.
- Meeting with Jeffri Pruyn, Mayor of La Junta, 6:30 p.m., 601 Colorado Ave., La Junta.
- Meeting with La Junta City Council, 7:00 p.m. 601 Colorado Ave., La Junta.
September 5: Prowers County
- Lamar City Council breakfast, 7:00 a.m., 109 S. Main St., Lamar.
- Meeting with Holly Commercial Club, 12:00 p.m., Holly.
- Tour of Hixson Farms near Lamar, 1:30 p.m.
- Tour of Amache Japanese-American internment camp, 3:00 p.m., County Rd 23 5/10, Granada.
September 6: Otero County and Kiowa County
- Meeting with Superintendent to tour Otero County Public Schools, 9:00 a.m., La Junta.
- Coffee with Karen, 12:00 p.m., The Barista, 204 Santa Fe Ave., La Junta.
- Kiowa County Fair, Kiowa County Democrats booth, 3:00-8:00 p.m., Fairground Rd., Eads.
September 7: Cheyenne County and Otero County
- Coffee with Karen, 8:00-10:00 a.m., 151 S 1st St W., Cheyenne Wells City Library, Cheyenne Wells.
- Tour of Sand Creek Massacre Historic Site, 55411 County Rd. W., Eads.
- Volunteer postcard writing event, time and address to be announced.
September 8: Otero County
- Early Settlers Day Parade, 9:30-11:30 a.m., 110 Santa Fe Ave., La Junta.
- Meeting with elected officials and County Commissioners, La Junta.